Chocolate lava muffins from start to finish in under 30 minutes. It’s a miracle, guys!
Ooey gooey chocolate that is just perfectly set in the oven can be yours in under 30 minutes. This is a recipe that I have been using for years because I am not the world’s most enthusiastic baker and this always knocks it out of the park. I like that the ingredients are simple, the technique isn’t difficult, and there is no waiting around for something to cool before it can be frosted. Wins all around, people.
Let me show you how to make these glorious chocolate lava muffins.
First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now, we’ll need to make a double boiler. I don’t have a proper double boiler, but that hasn’t stopped me yet. You can easily make one by placing a heat-proof bowl (glass or metal) over a pan of simmering water. Make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl. I bring the water to a boil and then lower it till its barely simmering.
While this is heating up place one stick of butter and 8 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate in it till it melts. Butter and chocolate? Yeah, it’s a pretty good start to a dessert recipe if I do say so myself…
In a separate bowl, crack four eggs. Add one egg at a time while blending the mixture with the hand mixer. Remember, the stove is off at this point. You can even take the bowl of chocolate down from the double boiler too.
If you do not plan on making all of the muffins, make sure to fill the remaining compartments with water. It’s just a safety measure for your metal pans. The muffins won’t be in the oven for long so if you forget this step it’ll be ok too.
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 stick butter
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- baking spray
- fresh whipped cream or ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips and butter until melted. Stir in vanilla. Set aside to cool
- In a bowl, sift together flour, sugar, and salt.
- Mix this flour mixture into the cooled chocolate mixture.
- Add four eggs, one egg at a time and whisk in with an electric hand mixer.
- Beat for 4 minutes so air can incorporate and chill the mixture slightly.
- Spray 12 muffin pan with baking spray
- Ladle or spoon the mixture into each well ¾ of the way full
- Bake for 10-11 minutes or until laval muffins are just set
- Serve warm with cold ice cream or whipped cream