It is a beautiful and sunny day in DC and I feel like Spring is finally coming – even though we had a snow storm on Friday and according to my friend Randa’s Snapchat it’s snowing in Chicago – it’s coming guys!
In honor of spring’s bounty, I am going to be sharing a way to cook one of it’s best vegetables, asparagus!
Let me show you how it’s done.
First, preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. This is a high cooking temperature, but we want a good heat to roast the asparagus.
Next, trim 1 1/2-2 lb. of asparagus at the breaking point. If you bend an asparagus towards the end, it’ll naturally break off, use this as a guide to trim the remaining asparagus. Also, if you buy asparagus and don’t use it right away, store it like you would flowers – in a cup with some water in the fridge.
Now we’ll need to pop the asparagus into the oven for 8-10 minutes for thin asparagus like I have, or 10-12 minutes for thicker asparagus. What you’re looking for is tender asparagus that is just turning golden. Feel free to turn the asparagus once as you’re checking for doneness.
You can sprinkle on some shaved parmesan or the zest of a lemon – yum!
But with some brown rice and roasted chicken, asparagus can be the star of your next healthy meal.
- 1.5-2 lb asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tsp good olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place oven rack to middle of the oven
- Place trimmed asparagus on sheet pan and season with salt, pepper, and olive oil
- Cook for 8-10 min for thin asparagus, 10-12 for thick asparagus, turning over once
- Garnish with shaved parmesan cheese or lemon zest if you like
I hope you enjoyed this quick spring recipe!