Today I have a delicious, beautiful, healthy, and most importantly – *quick* recipe for you.
This is a really easy, comfort-food dish that you will find in most homes in the Levant (Syria, Lebanon, and Jordan.) The flavors are familiar and the spices are simple. Finishing off the dish with a zip of lemon juice is my favorite way to have this dish.
We’ll want to add some spices to jazz up this simply flavored beef. We’ll need 1/4 teaspoon each of ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, and ground allspice. We’ll also want to add in 3/4 teaspoon of kosher salt. You can also add ground black pepper to taste.
I had this piece of foil that I was about to throw away, so I decided to recycle it instead of dirtying a plate. I do random things like that sometimes. As you can see, I only have six artichoke hearts. I needed 12! Dangit. But fear not, if you have leftover filling you can eat it with anything.
Once all your components are ready, you can either keep them out at room temperature for up to two hours or fill the artichokes. First, you’ll want to sprinkle a bit of salt on the plain artichoke shells and then add in the ground beef mixture filling it to the top.
- 1 pound freezer ground beef - recipe found on my blog
- ¼ teaspoon each of ground nutmeg, ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, and ground allspice
- ¾ teaspoon of kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable or canola oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 bags of frozen artichoke heart bottoms (12 total frozen artichokes)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- chopped flat leaf parsley for garnish
- squeeze of fresh lemon for garnish
- Defrost the bag of freezer ground beef
- Heat up a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat
- Reheat the ground beef adding in the nutmeg, ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, ground allspice, and ¾ teaspoon of kosher salt and cook until well browned
- Heat up the vegetable or canola oil over medium-high heat in a small separate skillet
- Fry up the pine nuts until lightly golden browned, drain from the oil, keeping the oil
- Add the pine nuts to the beef mixture, adjust seasonings, and set aside to cool
- In a large nonstick skillet, add ¼ cup of water or chicken stock and steam the frozen artichokes for 5-8 minutes making sure the flip the artichokes halfway through
- Once the liquid has fully evaporated, add in the reserved oil from frying the pine nuts and fry both sides of the artichoke hearts until they are lightly golden browned
- When they are cooked, set them aside and fill with the ground beef mixture
- Place the artichoke hearts at the bottom of a large nonstick skillet and add in half a cup of chicken broth (water a chicken bouillon cube works too)
- Bring the liquid to a soft simmer, put a lid on it, and let it steam for 15 minutes
- Garnish with some chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice on the top
- Serve with some warm rice, cool yogurt, and a crips salad
This is definitely one of my favorite, most easy dishes.
I hope you guys try it out!